Monday, March 3, 2014

2NE1 Finally 'Come Back Home'

 
I have been looking forward to writing this piece over the last 2 years. I can't believe it's being posted on my blog at last! With this, it signals the return of YG's hip hop/dance/electronica girl group, 2NE1!

I never particularly loved 2NE1 for their style and sound during their debut days, but ever since the release of 'I Am The Best' I have been a converted fan.

Imagine my excitement when 'I Love You' was released late 2012, ahead of their album's release. After many of waiting, the album never came. Fans like myself were frustrated, but remained loyal and calm.

Then in 2013, we were teased by the release of 'Falling In Love', followed closely by 'Do You Love Me'. Speculations of an album release was in the air.

And then the long wait began again... this time many were already calling YG a troll... until the release of the slow-tempo number 'Missing You' in November 2013. They even performed the song during the 2013 MAMA Awards in Hong Kong!

Then came another long wait. We were being left in the cold after being all teased up! Then around January 2014 rumours which led to confirmation of a new album were all around the internet.

After a superbly long wait, their music video for 'Come Back Home' and 'Happy' are released on March 3. Their album dropped on the online stores on February 26, on CL's birthday. As expected, they achieved an all-kill on the music charts!

Check out the music video for 'Come Back Home' below!


In their latest album, 2NE1 managed to keep their sound fresh while experimenting with a more hip-hop/swagger style mixed up with some mellow ballads. 

While 'Crush' reminds me very much of 'I Am The Best', 'Come Back Home' is a mid-tempo track which brings out the best in every member, in terms of vocal and individual colour.

Another track which I loved was CL's solo 'MTBD', also known as 'Mental Breakdown', which is a mind-blowing track full of CL's signature swagger and rap. While the bass proves to be an addictive element, the lyrics itself is another story.

The lyrics revolved around karma and revenge towards a former lover, but the part which I liked most was the reference to Bob Marley's famous hit, "Karma karma karma is looking for you/ Watchu' gonna do when they come for you"!

Their latest album 'Crush' certainly did not disappoint me the very least and to sum up what it's done to me, let me borrow a line from one of their songs, 'Boom, boom, boom!"

Check out the music for 'Happy' below!



The author is totally relieved that the long wait is over. Now let's look forward to 2NE1's upcoming 'All Or Nothing' concert in Malaysia this coming May!

Do follow me on Twitter for the latest updates!

No comments: