Monday, November 18, 2013

South Korea Trip 2013: Day 2 in Seoul (Chungmuro, Namdaemun & Myeongdong)

Seoul Station, my first stop after arriving from Busan via KTX
My second day in South Korea started by taking a taxi to Busan Station from the hotel. As I had previously booked my KTX ticket online before arriving in South Korea, all I needed to do was present the printed voucher to exchange for the actual train ticket. 

To book your tickets online, here's the link to Korail's English website.

Taking the KTX set me back around RM350 for a return ticket, but the price will vary depending on whether you take up the KR Pass or when you stop at designated stops along the way to Seoul.

View of Seoul city from Seoul Station
After a 300km/h ride on the KTX which took 2 hour and 30 minutes, I arrived at Seoul Station. Since it was around noon, I stopped for lunch at the food court which is connected to the Lotte Outlets next door. Food court prices are about the same of that in Lotte Departmental Store in Busan.

Chungmuro subway station
Next from Seoul Station, I took the subway to Chungmuro Station. I previously purchased my T-money chain in Busan the night before from GS25, one of the local convenience stores. 

Hello Kitty T-money chain
I bought a Hello Kitty one, so I paid slightly more for it, 8000 won (approximately RM24). Normal cards are way cheaper, probably around 3000 won (RM9). Take note that T-money cards are accepted in Seoul and Busan subway stations, so if you're travelling to these 2 places it's best you get this card.

I also had the card charged with 10,000 won (approximately RM30). Everytime you enter a turnstile at a subway station and swipe your card, you'll be charged 1050 won (approximately RM3.15). If you purchase a ticket at every stop, it will cost you 1100 won (approximately RM3.30). So it is more savings in the long run!

Chungmuro Residence (it's a tall and thin building)
After exiting from Chungmuro Station, I got lost finding Chungmuro Residence and had to get help from the local policemen as well as 7-11 store staff. After much walking, I found the hotel and realised that I had gotten out from the other end of the subway station. For those who intend to stay at Chungmuro Residence in the future, please take Exit 8 when you get off at Chungmuro Station.

2 single beds in the room
I booked the room at around RM280 per night for triple sharing via Agoda. The beds were quite clean but I loved the loft bed more although it's actually for kids. I'm kid-sized by the way :)

The super cozy loft bed
The ceiling's pretty low and I had to crawl on my knees but I had my own space up there and it was fun!

Clean toilet
The toilets were clean but my only grouse was there were no toiletries provided. Make sure to bring your own shampoo and body wash, as well as toothbrush and toothpaste if you're planning on staying here. If you don't mind paying a little extra, there's a little convenience store down at the lobby where you can get these toiletries.

The little kitchenette near the entrance of the room
The little kitchenette is great for those planning to cook their own meals. There is also a huge fridge, so you can buy fresh ingredients and drinks without worrying about how to store everything in it. A huge plus is a washing machine, which I didn't get to use. The instruction is all in Korean though, so you'll need some help to operate it.

The only table in the room with monitor screen as TV
Since the room is half of that of the room I stayed in Busan, I naturally felt that it was a bit cramped since I was sharing it with 2 other travel partners. The TV was a miniscule monitor, but most likely you'll not use it much like I did. Sightseeing and shopping in Seoul will probably take up more time and the room is just a sleeping place, so it's still bearable.

Namdaemun Market
Next up I took the subway to Hoehyeon Station, since I am going to Namdaemun Market. Take Exit 5 and you'll reach at the entrance of the marketplace.

Korean braised pork knuckles on sale
As it's a traditional market, expect to see a lot of ahjummas browsing around for good deals here. Food is abundant here, as well as household wares, Korean ginseng, socks, K-pop goods, and children's clothing.
The Face Shop 50% Sale
Some of the great hauls from Namdaemun include 500 won (approximately RM1.50) spoons and chopsticks which I got from a man selling on a makeshift stall in the middle of the road, 2000 won (approximately RM6) Korean stainless steel rice bowls, and 5000 won (approximately RM15) for pack of ten The Face Shop masks.

I walked from Namdaemun Market to Myeongdong, since these two shopping districts were within 10 minutes walking distance from each other. If you're taking the subway, you can get there by taking Exit 6 at Eljiro 1-ga Station, or Exit 6 at Myeongdong Station.
Shinsegae Departmental Store, where the rich shop
While walking to Myeongdong from Namdaemun Market, I passed by Shinsegae Departmental Store, where the rich wives do their shopping. I saw through the windows that there was a VIP lounge where the ladies were chit chatting while waiting for their drivers to pick them up.

Myeongdong, where the youth shop
If Namdaemun is where the ahjumma shops, then Myeongdong is where the ahgassi shops. Cosmetic stores are along every alley you go. And the promoters here are more aggressive here. Make sure if you're planning to buy cosmetics, come to Myeongdong since they'll most probably give you a free gift to entice you to enter their shop, and more after you make a purchase.

Apart from cosmetic stores, you can get more of the clothing brands Korean youths wear. There is SPAO, one of the most celebrity endorsed brands I've encountered. Since SM artists endorse SPAO, it is fitting that you can take pictures with their posters in-store. Look out for designated photo zones. And best of all, Everysing is located at the top floor of the SPAO building! SMTown fans, don't miss this place out!

Dinner at Gimgane next to SISTAR
I had dinner at Gimgane, where the food was simple but delicious. It's really more to quick and simple food such as ramyun, odeng, tteokbukki and udon, food youths love. The prices here are quite reasonable, ranging from 5000 won to 8000 won per dish (approximately RM15 to RM24).

That sums up my first day in Seoul and I hope you had fun reading my post!

Read about my experience in Nampodong, BIFF Square and Gwangbok Street (Busan) here!

Read about my experience in Edae, Hongdae, D-Cube City and Dongdaemun here!

Read about my experience in N Seoul Tower, Namsangol Hanok Village, Garosugil and Go-To Mall here!

Read about my experience in Gyeongbukgung, Bukchon Hanok Village, Samcheongdong, Changdeokgung and Insadong here! 
Read about my experience in Busan (KTX and Busan City Night View Tour Bus) here! 

Update: Check out my latest account of my trip to Japan in 2015 here. Stay tuned for more updates on this trip!

The author is still infatuated over all things Korean and thinks she left part of her soul back in Seoul... time to plan for the next trip!

Do follow me on Twitter for the latest updates!

No comments: