Thursday, December 12, 2013

South Korea Trip 2013: Day 6 in Busan (KTX, Busan City Night View Tour Bus)

View of Seoul city from Seoul Station
It's time to head back to Busan after spending 4 nights in Seoul. But before I head back, nothing beats a round of last minute shopping at Namdaemun Market since it's nearby Chungmuro Residence.

After checking out the hotel at 12 noon, my travel partners and I headed towards Seoul Station for lunch before boarding the 2.30pm train bound for Busan.


Spicy grilled bulgogi set for lunch at Seoul Station's food court
I chose to have spicy grilled bulgogi set for lunch at the food court in Seoul Station. It's actually my second time eating lunch here (the first was when I arrived from Busan) but yet there were lots of food that piqued my interest. My bulgogi set cost me 7000 won (approximately RM21), which was pricey but looking at the huge portion and the side dishes, it was worth it. It was super yummy too for food court standards!


Lotte Mart is just next to Seoul Station
If you have time to spare before your journey, there are plenty of shops for you to pass some time. Lotte Department Stores is in Seoul Station, while Lotte Mart is adjacent to the building. Just don't get too engrossed in shopping till you miss the train...


KTX train
It's a 2 and half hour's journey from Seoul to Busan, so I tried to sleep on the train to conserve some energy for the night's activities. Since coming to Seoul, everyday is pretty hectic since there are many places to see and go to explore.


At Ulsan station en route to Busan via KTX
There were a few stops along the way from Seoul to Busan, and I managed to capture a picture at the Ulsan station. I noticed that there were many men in military uniforms taking the KTX on my first trip and also on the return trip. I guess taking the KTX is a way of life for Korean soldiers since they have to travel back home or vice versa to their camps.

After landing in Busan at around 5pm, I headed straight back to Busan Tower Hill Hotel, where part of my luggage was stored. I only took a light carry on to Seoul since it was easier to travel via train with it. Thank goodness I did not decide to bring my 30'' luggage bag to Seoul as it would have been difficult to walk up and down stairs with it.

Since I booked a night view tour bus with the tourism staff at Gimhae International Airport upon my arrival, I quickly headed towards Busan Station before the appointed meeting time at 6pm

To book a seat on the night view tour bus in Busan, you have to make a call. For more information, click on the link to learn more about Busan City Night View Tour Bus.


Kimchi fried rice for dinner nearby Busan Station
I had a quick dinner at a small little shop just right outside Busan Station. The ahjumma was friendly and although the set-up was small (only 2 tables), business was brisk. I guess she relied on take-outs as the phone was ringing every few minutes although I was there for less than half an hour.

I had a simple kimchi fried rice set for dinner which only cost me 4500 won (approximately RM13.50), and probably will be the cheapest meal I had so far in Korea. It was very filling although it was simple, and the home-cooked stamp was written all over it when it was served. Somehow I feel like at home although I'm away from home...


The Busan City tour bus
After confirming my reservation, I paid the 10,000 won fee (approximately RM30) to the bus tour staff. The night view course was conducted in Korean since the majority of the visitors on the bus were Koreans (except me and my 2 travel partners). Do Koreans love the night view tour too?

Aboard the Busan City Night View tour bus
The bus was almost full and thank goodness the conductor was good enough to provide earphones and helped us to switch on the screen where information in English will be disseminated throughout the tour.


Screens where information on the night tour is provided
Our first stop was to be Gwangalli Beach, but along the way it was pitch black so I couldn't see much. It was only 6pm yet the night seems to be like 9pm back in KL.


Gwangan Bridge from afar
Our conductor (and bus driver... and also photographer) stopped for us to have a quick 5 minute photo session of the famous Gwangan Bridge, also known as 'Diamond Bridge'. It was so pretty, the way it illuminated the night sky with LED lights.

To make up for the lack of English commentary on board the bus, our conductor tried to explain the sights to us everytime we had a stop. I really appreciate the effort on his part, otherwise I'll be absolutely clueless. 


Busan Aquarium at Haeundae Beach
We had another short stop at Haeundae Beach, and there were many things to see here. I went to the Busan Aquarium but of course did not enter, saw the pretty Gwangan Bridge again, and also took in the long rows of shops (cafes, cafes and more cafes) facing the ocean. A great place to stay in the summer, for sure!

Brightly lit buildings along Haeundae Beach at night
Because it gets dark very early, the night seems long here in Korea. I guess everyone takes dinner then chills at places such as the beach, go shopping or even sit back and relax while sipping hot coffee in cool cafes.

Another form of Korean humour; a stingray as Superman
I find Korean advertisements lacking in terms of huge billboards as opposed to the plenty billboards lining the streets in KL. Advertising in South Korea is more below-the-line on streets, but TV ads are aplenty. Maybe Koreans are TV addicts? But I love their sense of humour. They have the knack of turning a normal thing into something memorable, take for example the picture above. When I think of stingrays, I'll think of Superman from now on. Don't you think they look alike?

Gwangan Bridge view from Geumryonsan
Our last stop was Geumryonsan, a hilltop where we could see Busan city from above. The city was illuminated with lights, but the main attraction was of course, Gwangan Bridge.

That ends my night view tour and after I landed back in Busan Station at 9pm, I went to BIFF Square for supper. Plenty of great food here!

My next adventure to Jagalchi Market awaits in the next post!

Read about my experience in Nampodong, BIFF Square and Gwangbok Street (Busan) here!

Read about my experience in Chungmuro, Namdaemun and Myeongdong here!
 
Read about my experience in Edae, Hongdae, D-Cube City and Dongdaemun here! 

Read about my experience in N Seoul Tower, Namsangol Hanok Village, Garosugil and Go-To Mall here!

Read about my experience in Gyeongbukgung, Bukchon Hanok Village, Samcheongdong, Changdeokgung and Insadong here!

No comments: