Sunday, August 10, 2014

How To Cook Yukgaejang (The Simplest Way)


If you're a fan of Korean food, chances are you've heard of Yukgaejang, a spicy beef broth that will sure to leave you craving for more.

During my trip to South Korea, I chanced upon an instant Yukgaejang soup base from Ottogi being sold in a grocery store. Since I loved the spicy beef soup so much, I decided to buy one pack to try back home.


Bought the Yukgaejang instant soup base in a box with another foil packaging inside. I think it costs around 3000 won (approximately RM9), but mianhae, my memory might have failed me since it was some time ago when I bought this.



Inside the foil packaging you will see 2 dried soup base and 2 sachets of oil. You can opt to use one pack each for a single portion, but I decided to use all since I was cooking for two persons.

The instructions were in Korean, so I had to take a wild guess on what fresh ingredients to add. Meat (beef or chicken) is a must, to give the soup more flavour. I used chicken since I couldn't find fresh beef :(

I also added mushrooms, some spring onions and some fresh chillies which I sliced to thin strips. Bring all ingredients and soup base together to a boil, and voila! Instant Yukjaejang awaits you!



Overall, my instant Yukgaejang tasted good, but would have been better with beef slices I think. I have yet to come across the same Ottogi instant Yukgaejang soup base in Malaysian stores, but if you have, do drop me a comment on where I can get it.

Hoping to try cooking this again in the future, whether from scratch or with instant soup base. But the latter probably warrants a trip to South Korea again... ;)

The author regrets not having the foresight to buy back more instant soup bases home. Cooking Korean food for comfort would be so much easier then!

Do follow me on Twitter for the latest updates!