Monday, February 6, 2012

BEG's Miryo releases new album Johoney

Brown Eyed Girl’s resident rapper Miryo has recently released her solo album titled Miryo a.k.a. Johoney. Pretty much as expected, she raps throughout the whole album.

The first track, Party Rock, is more of a clubbing track, complete with auto-tune, which I did not particularly dig. Featuring LeeSsang’s Gary and THE KOXX, this song is a great one to dance and party to.

DIRTY, the second track off the album, is a mid-tempo track with a catchy chorus where Miryo holds the song on her own, without any help from other artists. My favourite feature of this song has to be the strumming of the rock guitar in the background.

Check out the music video for Dirty which I found rather funny below. And boy, the people in this video are surely dirrrty….!


I Love You, I Love You is probably the best track off this album in my opinion as it proves rather easy listening although it has a mixture of rap and singing. Collaborating with Girl Generation’s Sunny on this wonderful song, Miryo proves that she pull off rapping in a slow song too. Sunny’s vocals also sound great here too, and maybe that has a major pull factor for me.

On a darker note, Revenger is a track that gives off a rather depressing vibe. Featuring Rude Paper, this song has auto-tune features and an annoying sound in the background. I didn’t find this track interesting and it is the least of my favourites.

The last track, Leggo, is a typical BEG track. Miryo rap is rather fast in this one, and together with fellow BEG member Narsha, they pull this song off greatly. I love Narsha’s part in this one, and somehow I can’t wait to see them perform this song live.

Leggo will be Miryo’s debut song on KBS Music Bank after they banned DIRTY due to the lyrics.

Overall, Miryo’s solo effort is applaudable, but somehow I wished she didn’t take a more pop approach in this album as it didn’t really suit her style. Something along the lines of I Love You, I Love You shall be great for her next release.

With Miryo’s solo release, all that is left is BEG member Jea’s solo release. Narsha and Gain both have released their own. Are you anticipating Jea’s solo album soon?

The author loves Brown Eyed Girl's Cleansing Cream and the message implied in the song. Do check it out!

Do follow me on Twitter for the latest updates!

No comments: